Saturday, January 16, 2010

I have M.S. & I can't walk-but can't a vehicle be made driveable with hand controls?

I have Multiple Sclerosis and am unable to use my legs. I DO want to start driving again, and I was told that a vehicle can be made drivable for me by putting some type of converter on the car so that the gas and brakes are worked by the hands. Any ideas?I have M.S. %26amp; I can't walk-but can't a vehicle be made driveable with hand controls?
Find your local association for handicapped persons. Here it is called Society for Manitobans With Disabilities, I don't know what it is called where you are. They will have the information, probably sell the kits, and will have a list of qualified installers. You can also try your local or national Multiple Sclerosis Society. You will get approval from your DMV/DVL to register the converted car, and likely will take a test before being issued a licence that allows you to drive the converted vehicle. You can get driving lessons for the handling of the converted vehicle as well. Good luck.I have M.S. %26amp; I can't walk-but can't a vehicle be made driveable with hand controls?
Sure. I've seen 'em. I was an insurance adjuster for alot of years.
Its very possible. You'll have to look into the many options available. I bet if you find a M.S. support forum someone will be able to give you the advice you need. I'm looking into this for my mom. She has a nerve disorder. She can walk but only 10 feet or so without a walker. I know if I could get her driving again it would raise her spirits so much since she been disabled for the past year.
Many cars are adapted to be driven by people with varying levels of disability. Hand controls are very commonplace in these automobiles. How else would a paraplegic drive a vehicle. My friend has a car that is converted for him to drive he pulls a handle for the brakes and pushes the handle for the gas

No comments:

Post a Comment